Monday, February 25, 2013

Trying and Failing to Find Your Phone Interview Style

As was mentioned in my opening post, I recently lost my job. I am fortunate to be in a field that is still in demand during the rough economy and have several companies interested in me for open positions. This requires me to be capable of interviewing well. As is now common practice, I have had to do several short phone interviews before being invited to visit the company's facility. Phone interviews are difficult. You are unable to see the interviewers facial expressions, it is often times difficult to find a quiet place to talk and give you a limited amount of time to state your case as the best applicant. Going through the process for a third time, I am starting to find my phone interview style.

Last week, I had to phone interviews back-to-back. Normally, I would not recommended scheduling interview like this, but one interviewer cold-called me. While this did increase my stress level, I was able to keep my cool during both interviews for several different reasons. First, I planned for the schedule interview. I researched the company and determined their goals and values. This allowed to align my goals and values with theirs during the interview. While this can sound cheesy and rehearsed having a story to align with both really impresses the interviewer. It shows them that you are not wasting their valuable time by trying to wing the interview. Not only did I research the company, I also had a few highlights from my career I wanted to discuss. By talking about accomplishments, I was able to show the interviewer that I had brought value to my past companies. When a company is hiring you for a position, they are making an investment and want to see that there is potential for a return on their investment. Doing both of these tasks, calmed me down since I already knew what I wanted to discuss during interview.

The other way I kept my cool during the interview was to do an activity I enjoy: running. In the past I tried things like taking a long lunch or watching a funny show. These activities seemed to give me too much time to think and I often botched the interview. Running clears my mind and makes it possible for me to focus on the interview. Also, because I am above average in my running ability, it gives me a lot of confidence before the interview. While not something, I could do before an in-person interview, because of the unpleasant body odor, doing any physical activity tend to lower the heart rate and help people relax.

While I hope nobody is ever in this position, you may also need to discuss why you are currently unemployed. My advice here is the same as before. It's all preparation. Be ready to answer the question openly and honestly. Very few people make it through their whole career without a job lose. During both interviews when this question came up, I told them what I happened and that I was ready to start working again as soon as possible. They respected my honesty and understood that these things can happen during a persons career.

My final piece of advice for a phone interview is to stay calm. Anytime you've made it from the resume review phase to the interview phase, the company is telling you that your skills match the position. This phase just lets a company decide if you'll fit their culture. Also, at this point, they need to start selling you on the company and the position. While it may be tempting when you are unemployed or just starting your career to take the first position, one of the worst things in the world is to go to a place you hate five days a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment